Today’s Thursday Thirteen will be my 13 favorite Vampires from the big and small screens:
1. Bela Lugosi’s Dracula – Of course, the most famous blood sucker. He set the par. Often misquoted, he never actually said, “I vant to suck your blood.”
Memorable Quote: To die, to be really dead, that must be glorious!
2. Henry Fitzroy (from Blood Ties) – Fast becoming one of my favorite new shows. Henry, the 450-year-old vampire and illegitimate son of Henry VIII, is a artist for graphic novels and helps Vicki out with her supernatural cases.
Henry: Where are you going?
Vicki: Husband hunting.
Henry: (indicating himself) Husband material.
Vicki: You’re sweet, but you’re just not a morning person.
3 & 4. Angel & Spike (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) – Had to include the two most drooled-over vampires on tv. Of course, this Whedon tv adaptation from a movie that bombed ended up being a cult hit.
Angel: Don’t worry. I’m not here to eat.
Spike: Angel’s as dull as a table lamp, and we have much different coloring.
5. Blade – Half-vampire, half-human, Blade supresses his vampire side and hunts the blood suckers.
Blade: There are worse things out tonight than vampires.
Dr. Karen Jenson: Like what?
Blade: Like me.
6. Lost Boys – Teen hearthrobs of every girl my age. As cheesy as it is, it’s still a classic.
David: It is too late, my blood is in your veins.
Michael Emerson: So is mine!
7 & 8. Selene & Michael Corvin (from Underworld) – She’s a vampire that hunts lycans (werewolves). And he’s just become one. But then, he gets hit with some vampire juice. And look out. He’s a vampire/lycan hybrid and uglier than I ever thought they could makeover a pretty boy.
Selene: Lycans are allergic to silver. We have to get the bullets out quickly, or they end up dying on us during questioning.
Michael Corvin: What happens to them afterward?
Selene: We put the bullets back in.
9. George Hamilton’s Dracula (from Love at First Bite) – This vampire spoof is classic.
Memorable Quote: I’m going out for a bite to drink.
10. Grandpa and Lily Munster – Speaking of classics, this family of Munsters made horror funny.
Memorable Quote:Grandpa Munster: Herman! Herman, please! How many times do I have to tell you not to pound stakes while I’m around? You know it gives me heartburn!
11. Maximillian (from Vampire in Brooklyn) – He may be an evil vampire, but he’s still as funny and attractive as ever.
Memorable Quote:[Max pulls a bit of Tony the gangster out of his teeth] I just had Italian.
12. Leslie Nielsen’s Dracula (from Dracula: Dead and Loving It) – Mel Brooks does it again. This time Dracula is dumber than ever.
Memorable Quote:I was having a daymare.
13. Nick Knight (from Forever Knight) – This was another favorite show while I was growing up. A vampire police detective with a sense of humor.
Memorable Quote:Word to the wise – immortality is no excuse not to floss.