Last night I had to draw giant comic strips for a backdrop in the sanctuary for the upcoming series weÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re doing in church labeled Ã¢â‚¬Å“Heroes.Ã¢â‚¬Â When I heard this, I of course got extremely excited, ideas whizzing through my mind. The rest of the Creative Team just sat there, while I (the only woman) was spewing out ideas and obviously giddy. One of the guys asked me how I knew so much about super heroes. Yeah. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s kind of sad. And yet, I felt more sorry for him not knowing, since the super hero sub genre of science fiction may be my favorite aspect. And one of the reasons I love the new show Heroes (and The 4400) so muchÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ ordinary people having extraordinary abilities.
Anyway, this got me thinking aboutÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
Thirteen Reasons Why I love Super Heroes:
1. Super Powers and Special Abilities. WhatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a super hero without cool powers? (No, Batman doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t have super powers, but he does have a powerful mind and cool gadgets.) My favorite powers are usually the most useful ones like flight, telekinesis, or teleportation.
2. Fun Adventures and Fights. What good are heroes without a story?
3. Character and Morals. People joke that Superman is a Boy Scout, but heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s the ultimate role model. Some people may like super heroes that are fallible, but I want my heroes to have a higher moral code.
4. Ordinary People with a Higher Calling. At the heart of each hero, theyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re still just people. And each as chosen to help people instead of using their gift in a selfish way. This really hits home with me. I need to be using my gifts for other instead of focusing on myself so much.
5. Costumes. Come on. WhatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a super hero without a cheesy costume?
6. Secret Identity. A lot of heroes donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t have one, but I find it gives the hero a more human quality. And it gives them a feeling of safety when enemies are around.
7. Super Villains. The more powerful the bad guy, the more exciting the situations become.
8. Immortality. In the world of super heroes (and most of science fiction), no one stays dead forever.
9. Love Interests. Mary Jane, Lois Lane, Steve TrevorÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ most great stories have a great romance. And who canÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t admit to having a crush on a super hero?
10. Origin Story. Every story has a beginning. And the origin stories are what shape the hero into who they become, and why they do what they do.
11. Theme Song. Spider-Man, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (heheh)Ã¢â‚¬Â¦ theme songs always give me a sense of excitement, as well as a feeling of nostalgia.
12. Merchandise. From t-shirts, posters, and novels, I have to admitÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ I crave it sometimes.
13. Attractive. ThatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s right. Just about every super hero is attractive and at peak physical condition. I mean, who would want to watch a slovenly, old man running around in tights? Not me. IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll take Colossus and his bulging biceps any day.
What do you love about super heroes? And which is your favorite?