Author Lori Goldstein joins SciFiChick.com today to give us the Top Ten Things Every Jinn Girl Needs and offer a special giveaway (details below)! em>Becoming Jinn releases April 21st from Feiwel & Friends.
Ten Things Every Jinn Girl Needs
by Lori Goldstein
1. Sweets. All Jinn have a sweet tooth, but not every Jinn is talented enough to conjure food. Kitchens need to be stocked with chocolate, ice cream, and a host of sugary treats.
2. A space heater. Jinn love the heat and hate the cold. Space heaters, fireplaces, outdoor firepits, and the like are a requirement.
3. Family cantamen. Part rulebook, part spell book, part history book, part memoir, part diary, a Jinn cantamen helps guide new Jinn as they hone their magic. Each family maintains its own, adding to it over the centuries.
4. A large house. With a Zar sisterhood made up of six Jinn, Zar gatherings require a home with enough room to accommodate big groups. Two Zars together equal twelve Jinn, three pump it up to eighteen…you get the idea.
5. A laptop and an Internet connection. Granting wishes for humans requires research on the wish candidate to ensure whatever actions taken to accomplish the wish won’t raise any suspicions. The more a Jinn knows about their wishee, the less risky granting wishes is…something Azra must learn the hard way.
6. A tagine. To make dishes like Azra’s favorite, chicken tagine with tomatoes and sweet caramelized onions, a traditional tagine with its round dish and conical lid is required.
7. Restraint. The more magic a Jinn does, especially for humans who can’t know about their powers, the more they risk exposure—the worst thing for a Jinn.
8. Focus. All magic requires concentration, but for no element is focus more key than when traveling via Jinn teleportation. Can’t have Jinn popping up in the middle of a crowded restaurant full of humans. And if a Jinn does then they need . . .
9. Quick thinking. Hiding one’s magic isn’t always easy, and a quick mind, ready with a lie, an explanation, and a way out of a sticky situation, is essential.
10. A good cover story. Humans are an inquisitive bunch. Jinn, who lack day jobs but have houses and cars and all the rest that require money to outside eyes, need a cover story. Huh, I guess being Jinn’s kinda like being a spy!
Special Giveaway: Courtesy of Lori, we have a Selection of Taza Chocolate (made locally near Lori’s hometown http://www.tazachocolate.com) for one (1) lucky winner!
Contest is open to US residents only. No PO Boxes please. To enter, just fill out the form below. Contest ends May 1. I’ll draw a name on May 2, and notify winner via email.
ENTER DAILY TO INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING!
And the Grand Prize Giveaway: Finished Copy of Becoming Jinn enter here:
a Rafflecopter giveaway