I thought I’d kill 2 birds with one stone today, to incorporate Thursday Thirteen and a book review. Thankfully, there were 13 short stories in the copy of L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume XXIII. The people at Galaxy Press were kind enough to send me a review copy.
Each story is very unique and entertaining, by several new talented writers. And each story is accompanied by wonderful illustrations by various artists as well. Here is a list of the short stories along with a little blurb about each:
1. Primetime – by Douglas Texter
Reality TV travels through time.
2. The Sun God at Dawn, Rising from a Lotus Blossom – by Andrea Kail
Letters to President Lincoln from King Tut.
3. The Frozen Sky – by Jeff Carlson
Adventure on an icy moon.
4. The Stone Cipher – by Tony Pi
A mystery uncovers the fate of humanity?
5. Obsidian Shards – by Aliette de Bodard
Supernatural danger from the underworld.
6. Ripping Carovella – by Kim Zimring
A “talent scout” removes neurons for paying customers.
7. Our Last Words – by Damon Kaswell
A soldier travels the distant futures.
8. Saturn In G Minor – by Stephen Kotowych
Maestro performs his final masterpiece.
9. By the Waters of the Ganga – by Stephen Gaskell
“Revelation is coming.”
10. Pilgrimage – by Karl Bunker
Galaxy games and living a life on another planet.
11. The Gas Drinkers – by Edward Sevcik
Danger and death in space.
12. The Phlogiston Age – by Corey Brown
Love and drama at Cape Canaveral.
13. Mask Glass Magic – by John Burridge
A glassblower has strange dreams.