It Takes a Thief – The Complete Series – Now available on DVD
Former thief, Alexander Mundy is offered conditional parole if he assists the SIA, a covert US agency. Using his skills as a thief and con man, Mundy travels the world as a spy (and thief) for the US government.
Inspired by Hitchcock’s Cary Grant film, To Catch a Thief, this popular television series lasted two-and-a-half seasons in the late 60’s. Starring Robert Wagner as Alexander Mundy, It Takes a Thief was a Bond-like adventure/spy series with plenty of mystery, intrigue, humor, and romance. Multiple guest star appearances by many familiar faces such as Fred Astaire, Susan Saint James, and Ricardo Montalban and more add to the sense of nostalgia and fun. The complete series is now available in a collectible box, containing all 66 episodes on 18 discs, the extended version of the pilot film, interviews, and more.
I was not around for the original airing of the series, but found the show charming and Robert Wagner as irresistible as ever. As a fan of the early Bond films, I couldn’t help but compare, and was hooked from the pilot. USA Network’s White Collar obviously borrowed heavily from this series, though adapted for today’s world. It Takes a Thief is a fantastic look back at the 60s espionage/adventure days with a young and dashing Robert Wagner.
DVD Set Includes:
– All 66 Episodes Digitally Re-Mastered
– Extended Feature-Length Version of the Pilot Episode
– The King of Thieves: Interview with Robert Wagner
– A Matter of Larceny: Interview with Glen A. Larson
– Limited Edition Senitype (reproduced 35mm film frame)
– It Takes a Thief Exclusive 4-Piece Coaster Set
– Collectible Booklet with retrospective essay