Supporting roles rarely get the spotlight. But sidekicks are often my favorite roles.
Here are 13 of My Favorite SciFi Sidekicks:
1. Chewbacca (from Star Wars) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ EveryoneÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s favorite. HeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Han SoloÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s furry sidekick that only speaks in growls.
Quote: Sorry.. I donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t speak wookie.
2. Guy Fleegman (from Galaxy Quest) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ He only played Crewman Number 6, but his character stole the show. Plucky and hilarious, he eventually gained a role as Security Chief on the new Galaxy Quest show.
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“I’m just a glorified extra, Fred. I’m a dead man anyway. If I’m gonna die, I’d rather go out a hero than a coward.Ã¢â‚¬Â
3. Firestar and Iceman (from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ I have to pay homage to one of my favorite Saturday morning cartoons as a kid.
Quote: Iceman: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Here I come, to help my chum, ’cause he is dumb!Ã¢â‚¬Â
4. Chloe Sullivan (from Smallville) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ As ClarkÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s only true confidante, Chloe seems to be filling Lois LaneÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s reporter role for now.
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Clark has more issues than Rolling Stones.”
5. Grig (from The Last Starfighter) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ AlexÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s last friend left to help him fight the Ko-Dan. The reptilian Grig acts as the navigator, while Alex mans the gun, in this classic scifi flick.
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“I’ve always wanted to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds.Ã¢â‚¬Â
6. Zoe (from Firefly/Serenity) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ MalÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s right-hand woman since the war. SheÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s strong and loyal, the perfect smarmy sidekick.
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later.Ã¢â‚¬Â
7. TealÃ¢â‚¬â„¢c (from Stargate: SG-1) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ HeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s big, bald (or at least was), and a babe. This Jaffa is honorable, serene, and stoic. But he does have his lighter momentsÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you.Ã¢â‚¬Â
8. Shawn Farrell (from The 4400) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ He was a protÃƒÂ©gÃƒÂ© of millionaire Jordan Collier, who seemed to just use Shawn for his ability to heal people. But Shaw actually had to take over running the 4400 Center while Collier was presumed dead. He has good leadership potential, but still lacks confidence.
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Me and 4,399 of my closest friends popped out of a ball of light right about here.Ã¢â‚¬Â
9. Bruce Lewis (from The Dead Zone) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Once Johnny SmithÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s physical therapist after recovering from his long coma, Bruce has become JohnnyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s best friend and counsel. Though his character hasn’t changed much over the seasons, his hair sure has.
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“’A little off’. Do you understand what it means in the context of the rest of humanity for your brain to be ‘a little off’? That puts you in another galaxy far, far away.Ã¢â‚¬Â
10. William Riker (from Star Trek: The Next Generation) Once Captain PicardÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ã¢â‚¬Å“Number One,Ã¢â‚¬Â he now has his own command. But for 15 years, he served as First Officer on the Enterprise. He may hold a record for sidekick status.
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Someone once said Ã¢â‚¬ËœDon’t try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment.Ã¢â‚¬â„¢Ã¢â‚¬Â
11. Mystique (from X-Men (1-3) – Even bad guys have sidekicks. In the movies sheÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s completely loyal to Magneto, even giving up her mutant genes to keep him safe. Not her brightest moment.
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“You know, people like you are the reason I was afraid to go to school as a child.Ã¢â‚¬Â
12. Abe Sapien (from Hellboy) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ A kind of merman, Abe faithfully assists Hellboy in his missions for the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense (B.P.R.D.).
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“If there’s trouble, all us freaks have is each other.”
13. Bob (from The Dresden Files) Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Okay, IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m stretching this one since itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s really fantasy, but Bob is such a great character. So much personality fit into a ghost that lives in a skull!
Quote: Ã¢â‚¬Å“Careful! These equations are very precise and if you walk through them, I will start belting show tunes from the sixteenth century.”